My Favorite Kind of Book

First of all, I'm sorry for not posting for a while! Life has been happening.

Second of all, here's a true statement: there's no such thing as bad taste in books.

Thirdly, here is my proof supporting that statement: taste is subjective. A book that I may think is the absolute best in the universe may be a book that you hurled out the window after reading two pages. We're allowed to have different opinions.

That being said, I've been formulating my own personal book preferences and I thought it would be fun to write them down. Because . . . why? I don't know. I'm tired.

Basically, I like books that don't have a serious evil.


I mean, I'm not trying to be escapist. I know that evil is out there. It's everywhere. But since I have to live with it on a daily basis, just like every human being, I'd rather not have to read about it in my spare time. I like gentle books, ones that don't make me anxious, ones that make me ponder subjects I haven't pondered deeply before or ones that just plain make me happy.
Image result for lights




I don't like horror and mysteries are not usually for me. Nor do I gravitate towards short stories.

I do enjoy the occasional Agatha Christie. I liked the Raven Cycle (but it was a little borderline for me at some points). I read The Best of Father Brown, a collection of short mysteries by G.K. Chesterton, and loved it. Usually, however, the books I pick up are more in the strain of Elizabeth Goudge, Elizabeth Enright, and Kasie West. I also enjoy theological books, especially by C.S. Lewis.

Here is a sampling of my favorite books:

  • The Princess Bride, by William Goldman
  • A Man Called Ove, by Fredrik Backman
  • Green Dolphin Street, by Elizabeth Goudge
  • Anne of Green Gables, by L.M. Montgomery
  • Pride and Prejudice, by Jane Austen
  • Mere Christianity, by C.S. Lewis
  • Ella Enchanted, by Gail Carson Levine

Have you read any of these? What kinds of books do you enjoy? What kinds do you vehemently not enjoy?

Comments

  1. Ah I love your book list! There are a lot of those that I've loved. It seems like you enjoy a mix of wholesome-ness and whimsy and that always makes for a delightful read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that description–wholesomeness and whimsy! That is a perfect summary.

      Delete

Post a Comment