Top Ten Tuesday: books that take me Elsewhere

"Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are."
–Mason Cooley
Image result for metro train moving
Happy Tuesday! Top Ten Tuesday is a linkup hosted by That Artsy Reader Girl, and this week's topic is supposed to be "Books with Sensory Reading Memories." But . . . well, I changed it. For two reasons: 1) Almost every book I read is read on my couch or my bed or my living room floor with no more exciting beverage than a glass of water (sometimes it has lemon in it!!), and 2) I picture everything I read; it goes on in my head like a movie. Therefore, I'm usually mentally sucked into the world in the book and have no brain cells left for making sensory reading memories.

So today, my topic is books that take me Elsewhere.

#1. The Girl from Everywhere, by Heidi Heilig, took me to 1800s Hawaii.

#2. Heartless, by Marissa Meyer, took me to pre-Alice Wonderland.

#3. The Thief Lord, by Cornelia Funke, took me to the back alleys of Venice.

#4. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, by J.K. Rowling, took me to Hogwarts.

#5. Strange the Dreamer, by Laini Taylor, took me to Weep.

#6. The Hobbit, by J.R.R. Tolkien, took me to Middle Earth.

#7. The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, by C.S. Lewis, took me to Narnia.

#8. Mansfield Park, by Jane Austen, took me to a country estate in Regency England.

#9. The Giver, by Lois Lowry, took me to a dystopian society that was actually disturbingly appealing to me.

#10. The Girl of the Limberlost, by Gene Stratton Porter, took me to Indiana.

Have you read any of these? What books have taken you Elsewhere??

Comments

  1. I really loved the setting for Strange the Dreamer. I felt a little like Lazlo, in awe of the whole world. Yes, I have such fond memories of Hogwarts, almost as if I attended the school myself. Great picks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laini Taylor is a genius! (So is J.K. Rowling, for that matter.)

      Delete

Post a Comment