Book Beginnings & The Friday 56: Beastkeeper

It's time for Book Beginnings (Rose City Reader) and The Friday 56 (Freda's Voice)!

Today I chose Beastkeeper, by Cat Hellisen.
Image result for beastkeeper book
Book Beginnings

"The air was full of ice the night Sarah's mother packed all her bags and walked out."
The Friday 56

"The candles made the air smell greasy, and they flickered and guttered in an unwelcoming way, casting leaping shadows that played out a grotesque puppet show on the stained walls." 

This was a very purple-prosy book, but I like that. Just taste it: "The memories hit her, and all Sarah could do was stand there and let them batter her down. The feather-and-lily smell of her mother's hair, the sherries on cold nights, the watermelon summers, the sound of the bees humming around her mother while she gardened."

"Sarah wondered if at night the trees dreamed of a time when they covered the world and the true kings were wild and wore crowns of horns and antlers."

The descriptions of place are quite vivid: you can smell the castle, you can feel the wet carpet, you can taste the gluey fried egg.

This seemed more like Middle Grade than Young Adult to me, but after I reconciled myself to this fact I quite enjoyed the book.

Comments

  1. "Prosy" huh? I had to mull that one over for a few beats. Enjoy. My Friday Quotes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops! I guess I should have said prose-y, not prosy. Prosy has, I gathered just now from the dictionary, a very different meaning from what I intended!

      Delete
  2. I agree that the prose tends toward the purple. It does sound like a good story though. This week I'm spotlighting The Plot is Murder by V. M. Burns - a mystery within a mystery from my TBR mountain. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do love vivid descriptions! Thanks for sharing...and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope Sarah's mum comes back! Sounds like a lovely read.

    Here's my Friday post! Enjoy your weekend x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far she hasn't, but . . . we'll see. Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  5. The descriptions are great! Sounds like a good read! Thanks for sharing! Hope you have a wonderful weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The prose is pretty descriptive. It does seem interesting. Enjoy your current read.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Some books are best told with more purple prose. I love the sound of this one--and that cover! I hope you have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree; sometimes the purpleness is a little much in this book, but I'm enjoying it nonetheless. It gives the book texture.

      Delete
  8. Honestly, you had me with the cover alone. I would read it just based on it. :-) Happy Labor day weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, it's so beautiful! (This was a random library book I picked up from the YA shelf; I picked it up for the blurb on the inside, but also for the cover.)

      Delete
  9. Ooh these are very pretty and entirely visual.😍I love purple prose! And I like the dark feel to these!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment