Book Beginnings & The Friday 56: That Hideous Strength

Welcome!

Since it's Friday, I'm linking up with Freda's Voice for The Friday 56 and Rose City Reader for Book Beginnings.

The book of the day (which I'm still reading because the print is very small and my free time is very limited) is That Hideous Strength, by C.S. Lewis. THS is the third book of Lewis's space trilogy, and my favorite of the three so far, but we'll see.

Book Beginnings

"'Matrimony was ordained, thirdly,' said Jane Studdock to herself, 'for the mutual society, help, and comfort that the one ought to have of the other.' She had not been to church since her schooldays until she went there six months ago to be married, and the words of the service had stuck in her mind."

The Friday 56

"Although the food and the drinks were excellent it was a relief to Mark when people began getting up from table." 

Comments

  1. I haven't read anything by CS Lewis for such a long time. In fact, I've read very little by him except Narnia, of course. I should try some of his other stuff, like this series. My Friday Quotes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not a huge fan of his novels (although I did enjoy Till We Have Faces more the second time around), but I love his theological works. Mere Christianity and Miracles were especially good.

      Delete
  2. This book does call to me, with those lovely lines. Thanks for sharing, and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not familiar with this book. I'll have to look for the series. This week I am spotlighting Burning Ridge by Margaret Mizushima. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for introducing me to this series--I'm putting it on my reading list.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A series I have not read. I have only read the Narnia books. It sounds like a good one though. Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, my favorite part of a get-together is when people starting leaving. Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never read this series, so obviously I'm now intrigued lol Will look it up!

    Here's my Friday post. Hope you're enjoying you're weekend! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's kind of weird, but worth reading, I think!
      Thanks!

      Delete
  8. I'm also intrigued. I've also found C.S. Lewis heavy going, especially the non-Narnia stuff. Hope you get through.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment