The Best Kind of Middle Grade

It's no secret that I love reading Middle Grade fiction, but as with all things, some Middle Grade is better than others. So I took it upon myself to make a list of attributes that make Middle Grade great. 'Cause we all love lists, right?
Related image

1. Great MG is timeless. For me, "timeless" means that the book doesn't reference smartphones, tablets, or computers, doesn't reference specific book titles or songs or brands. Mentioning those things doesn't make a book bad, of course, but leaving them out makes a book feel timeless, even if it's set in Colonial America. (Examples: The Saturdays, by Elizabeth Enright; Johnny Tremain, by Esther Forbes.)
2. Great MG has characters that leap off the page at you. (Examples: The Mysterious Benedict Society, by Trenton Lee Stewart; Harriet the Spy, by Louise Fitzhugh.)
Image result for the mysterious benedict society Image result for harriet the spy
3. Great MG has kids who are good examples. Let me clarify what I mean: I do not mean that the kids in MG should be perfect little angels who never do anything wrong. I mean kids who aren't always mad at the adults around them. Who aren't forever blowing up in temper tantrums. Who try to do the right thing, but sometimes mess up or overstep their boundaries. (Examples: The Wouldbegoods, by E. Nesbit; The Saturdays, by Elizabeth Enright.)

4. Great MG has a wildly imaginative plot. (Examples: The Fantastic Family Whipple, by Mark Ward; Wildwood, by Colin Meloy and Caron Ellis; Mary Poppins, by P.L. Travers.) <–– Why does no one talk about The Fantastic Family Whipple??!! I love those books!
Image result for the fantastic family whipple
5. Great MG has a story that deals with hard things in a way that kids can understand and relate to. (Examples: What Hearts, by Bruce Brooks; Pictures of Hollis Woods, by Patricia Reilly Giff.)

What do you think about this list? What are your favorite Middle Grade books? Let me know so I can devour them!

Comments