My Favorite Character Building Tool (Part 2)


Two weeks ago, I posted about how I use the Enneagram to build my characters, and the four core questions that I ask myself when fleshing out characters. Today, I'm sharing some character analyses I've done using these questions!

The first character is the protagonist of a book I wrote when I was 15, and the other is the protagonist of a book I'm currently working on.


Curran (Enneagram 5)

Wants: To fly, to eat good food, to explore, to be with his family, to know the reason why.

Needs: Nourishing food.

Hates: The Tannishar (a people group who enslaved his family).

Loves: His family, exploring.

Fears: The Tannishar, imprisonment.


You can see that I was kind of half-assing this. I have since deepened my understanding of wants versus needs. What your character wants is what they think they need (their goal); what they actually need is their realization/character arc. 

Let's see if I can do better for my newest character!


Diana (Enneagram ...)

Wants: To hide, to hunt down the golden stag (who is reputed to have the ability to grant wishes) so she can save herself from an arranged marriage and get away from her stepmother.

Needs: To be vulnerable enough to allow people to see her as she truly is, apart from her appearance.

Hates: Her stepmother, Wish Givers, Lady Moira.

Loves: Her father and brothers, the forest, riding and hunting, her horse, archery.

Fears: The queen, Wish Givers.


So in this case, what Diana thinks will solve her problems is hiding her face and finding a mythical beast to grant her wishes. What she actually needs is to be vulnerable.


A while ago, I started watching Abbie Emmons' YouTube channel, where she talks a lot about character building, and she mentioned the concept of a character's truth versus their lie. I played around with this for my Egypt-inspired story, and here's what I came up with:


Meryt (Enneagram 7)

TRUTH: Only in relationships will she find the fulfillment she longs for.

LIE: She needs to keep moving on to find the next thing that might make her happy.


Kasheshta (Enneagram 8)

TRUTH: Working with others and collaborating doesn't mean she's lost control.

LIE: She doesn't need anyone in her life; in fact, if she lets anyone get too close, they'll end up controlling her.


Amosis (Enneagram 4)

TRUTH: He is significant not because of the parents he was born to or his bloodlines, but because of what he can offer to and do for the kingdom.

LIE: If he's not a son of the gods, he is worthless and unfit to rule after his father.



If you're a writer of fiction, which of these character building tools resonates most with you? Do you already use any of these?


Comments