Top 5 Middle Grade Books I Read in 2018

I read a lot of Middle Grade this year. Technically, I'm no longer in the age range that Middle Grade is aimed at, but practically . . . who doesn't enjoy curling up with a really good Middle Grade novel now and then? Actually, ironically, I think I read more MG this year than I did in all my years of being an 8- through 12-year-old. And I have opinions. So let's look at the best of the bunch, shall we?
Image result for magic books
This is what happens when you read a really good book. Paper butterflies fly out of it.

The Best (Oh, I should mention: None of these came out this year. I just happened to read them this year. And they were all so good I couldn't rank them!)

📚 Greenglass House, by Kate Milford. Did you say SMUGGLERS? I'm in.
Related image
I had to put the cover here because I love it!!

📚 Wildwood, by Colin Meloy. Forests and crows and hidden countries with talking animals tucked away into wildernesses and lovely prickly characters and I'm so here for this!!

📚 Peter and the Starcatchers, by Dave Barry and Ridley Pearson. This is the backstory of Peter Pan and it was so much better than I thought it would be! It was amazing, actually!

📚 Pictures of Hollis Woods, by Patricia Reilly Giff. Actually read this for school and fell in love with it. It kind of reminds me of something I would write.

📚 What Hearts, by Bruce Brooks. Wow, this was an unexpected punch in the stomach. But I liked it! Evidently, since it's on this list.

📚 Bridge to Terabithia, by Katherine Paterson. Could you pass me that box of tissues? No, the bigger one . . .

📚  The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Perilous Journey, by Trenton Lee Stewart. Sequel to The Mysterious Benedict Society, and I love these so much. I feel like the characters don't really change, though, and the takeaway isn't as strong as some of the others.

📚 The Penderwicks, by Jeanne Birdsall. I enjoyed this so much more than I thought I would! It was  sweet and funny.

📚 The Bad Beginning, by Lemony Snicket. Once again, the characters don't really change, but I did love the book. My first introduction to A Series of Unfortunate Events, which I really should have started reading before.

Have you read any of these? Which were your favorites? Let me know in the comments!

Comments