Book Beginnings & The Friday 56: Reckless

 

Happy Friday! Welcome back to another week of Book Beginnings and The Friday 56! I'm currently reading four books, but I decided to feature just one: Reckless, by Cornelia Funke.

"Ever since Jacob Reckless was a child, he has been escaping to a hidden world through a portal in his father's abandoned study. Over the years, he has made a name for himself as a finder of enchanted items and buried secrets. He's also made many enemies and allies–most important, Fox, a beautiful shape-shifting vixen whom Jacob cares for more than he lets on. But life in this other world is about to change. Tragedy strikes when Jacob's younger brother, Will, follows him through the portal. Brutally attacked, Will is infected with a curse that is quickly transforming him into a Goyl–a ruthless killing machine, with skin made of stone. Jacob is prepared to fight to save his brother, but in a land built on trickery and lies, Jacob will need all the wit, courage, and reckless spirit he can summon to reverse the dark spell–before it's too late." (From Goodreads.)

Cornelia Funke's Inkheart is one of my favorite books, so I'm really excited to dive into Reckless! I think I read a later book in this series in my early teens and was very confused, so it will be good to restart with the first book!


Books Beginnings

Book Beginnings is a tag hosted by Gilion at Rose City Reader every Friday. Basically, you just share the first sentence of a book you're currently reading (or a book you want to read but haven't gotten around to yet). Here's the first sentence of Reckless:


"The night breathed through the apartment like a dark animal."


The Friday 56

The Friday 56, originally hosted by Freda at Freda's Voice, is now being hosted by Anne at My Head is Full of Books. Here are the rules from Anne's blog:


RULES:

  • Grab a book, any book
  • Turn to page 56 (or 56% in your e-reader)
  • Find a snippet, but no spoilers!
  • Post it to your blog. Don't forget to add the URL of your post to the Linky on Anne's blog!

"It was obvious how tired he was, and he didn't protest when Clara led him toward the gingerbread house. The sun was setting behind the trees, and the red moon hung above the treetops like a bloody fingerprint."



Have you read anything by Cornelia Funke? If so, what did you think?

I hope you have a great weekend!



Comments

  1. Replies
    1. I'm enjoying it so far! It also has beautiful black and white illustrations by the author, which I really enjoy.

      Delete
  2. Sounds good. That opening really grabs your attention.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does! I love Cornelia Funke's use of simile in her writing.

      Delete
  3. Inkheart was one of my favorite books too. I haven't read Reckless, but I've heard of it before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I rarely meet someone else who's even heard of Inkheart, let alone loves it at much as I do! I don't think I'm going to like Reckless quite as much as Inkheart, but I'm very happy to be getting back into some Cornelia Funke.

      Delete
  4. What an interesting premise! I would read this one. I have read one Cornelia Funke book, many years ago. It was Inkheart. It was so imaginative. I enjoyed it. I hope you have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Inkheart is such a good book! I never liked the other two books in the series quite as much, but I've read Inkheart so many times. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete

Post a Comment