July 2026 Goodreads TBR Cleanup

I've been seeing Pam over at Read Bake Create doing these TBR shelf cleanups for a while, and since my Goodreads "Want to Read" shelf is growing at an alarming rate, I figured I'd give it a try!

This meme was created by Megabunny Reads.

How it works:

  • Go to your Goodreads want-to-read shelf.
  • Ask Siri (or use a random number generator) to pick a number between 1 and however many books are on the list.
  • Go to that book and look at it and the 4 after it, for a total of 5.
  • Read the synopses of the books.
  • Decide: keep it or should it go?
  • Discuss here.

There are currently 306 books on my Goodreads "Want to Read" list. (Since I'm writing this post a week in advance, there will probably be even more by the time it goes live!) I used a random number generator and it gave me the number 51. This puts me in the section of books that I added in August 2024 (nearly two years ago!). Let's see how many of these books are keepers!


1. Herbal Hormone Handbook for Women: 41 Natural Remedies to Reset Hormones, Reduce Anxiety, Combat Fatigue and Control Weight, by Carmen Reeves

About This Book

"You might be wondering why you are unable to lose weight, why you feel persistent low energy, or why you feel anxious or stressed. It may not always be obvious that our hormones are out of balance and causing these symptoms. You may be relieved to learn that there are ways to detect hormonal imbalances and address them with gentle effective strategies. This book discusses the female endocrine system, the hormones that help carry out complex physiological bodily functions and how we can take steps to assist our body in achieving balance and health." (From Goodreads)


My Thoughts

I'm not sure where I found this, but on closer inspection, I realized that it was self-published through CreateSpace and has only 54 ratings and 5 reviews. With the rise of AI-generated books about herbalism, I'm not feeling too comfortable about this one. Plus, I already own several very good books from known and trusted herbalists about women's health.


Verdict: DELETE


2. The Puppets of Spelhorst, by Kate DiCamillo

About This Book:

"Shut up in a trunk by a taciturn old sea captain with a secret, five friends—a king, a wolf, a girl, a boy, and an owl—bicker, boast, and comfort one another in the dark. Individually, they dream of song and light, freedom and flight, purpose and glory, but they all agree they are part of a larger story, bound each to each by chance, bonded by the heart’s mysteries. When at last their shared fate arrives, landing them on a mantel in a blue room in the home of two little girls, the truth is more astonishing than any of them could have imagined. ... The Puppets of Spelhorst is a tale that soothes and strengthens us on our journey, leading us through whatever dark forest we find ourselves in." (From Goodreads)


My Thoughts:

What a delightful premise! I love everything I've read by Kate DiCamillo, and I assume this one will be no different.


Verdict: KEEP


3. Girl, Serpent, Thorn, by Melissa Bashardoust

About This Book:

"There was and there was not, as all stories begin, a princess cursed to be poisonous to the touch. But for Soraya, who has lived her life hidden away, apart from her family, safe only in her gardens, it’s not just a story. As the day of her twin brother’s wedding approaches, Soraya must decide if she’s willing to step outside of the shadows for the first time. Below in the dungeon is a demon who holds knowledge that she craves, the answer to her freedom. And above is a young man who isn’t afraid of her, whose eyes linger not with fear, but with an understanding of who she is beneath the poison. Soraya thought she knew her place in the world, but when her choices lead to consequences she never imagined, she begins to question who she is and who she is becoming...human or demon. Princess or monster." (From Goodreads)


My Thoughts:

I really liked Girls Made of Snow and Glass (also by Melissa Bashardoust), and I'm very intrigued by the premise of this one. 


Verdict: KEEP


4. Briarheart, by Mercedes Lackey

About This Book:

"Miriam may be the daughter of Queen Alethia of Tirendell, but she's not a princess. She's the child of Alethia and her previous husband, the King's Champion, who died fighting for the king, and she has no ambitions to rule. When her new baby sister Aurora, heir to the throne, is born, she's ecstatic. She adores the baby, who seems perfect in every way. But on the day of Aurora's christening, an uninvited Dark Fae arrives, prepared to curse her, and Miriam discovers she possesses impossible power. Soon, Miriam is charged with being trained in both magic and combat to act as chief protector to her sister. But shadowy threats are moving closer and closer to their kingdom, and Miriam's dark power may not be enough to save everyone she loves, let alone herself." (From Goodreads)


My Thoughts:

I'm not particularly excited to pick this one up right away, but I see no reason to take it off the list. I mean, it's a fairytale retelling! I'm always up for one of those!


Verdict: KEEP


5. The Wrath and the Dawn, by Renee Ahdieh

About This Book:

"In a land ruled by a murderous boy-king, each dawn brings heartache to a new family. Khalid, the eighteen-year-old Caliph of Khorasan, is a monster. Each night he takes a new bride only to have a silk cord wrapped around her throat come morning. When sixteen-year-old Shahrzad's dearest friend falls victim to Khalid, Shahrzad vows vengeance and volunteers to be his next bride. Shahrzad is determined not only to stay alive, but to end the caliph's reign of terror once and for all. Night after night, Shahrzad beguiles Khalid, weaving stories that enchant, ensuring her survival, though she knows each dawn could be her last. But something she never expected begins to happen: Khalid is nothing like what she'd imagined him to be. This monster is a boy with a tormented heart. Incredibly, Shahrzad finds herself falling in love. How is this possible? It's an unforgivable betrayal. Still, Shahrzad has come to understand all is not as it seems in this palace of marble and stone. She resolves to uncover whatever secrets lurk and, despite her love, be ready to take Khalid's life as retribution for the many lives he's stolen. Can their love survive this world of stories and secrets?" (From Goodreads)


My Thoughts:

Another fairytale retelling! I actually meant to read this last year but never got around to it.


Verdict: KEEP


Well, at least I managed to eliminate one book from my Goodreads TBR! How many books are on your TBR?


Comments

  1. “I managed to eliminate one book” made me laugh. Currently, I have 94 books on my Goodreads TBR list. I cleaned it up/got it lower for the new year, but seven months later it’s back up again😅

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm planning to start doing this tag/meme once a month, so hopefully that should help rein in my TBR–slightly! Ninety-four books seems doable!

      Delete

Post a Comment