Welcome to my new monthly TBR cleanup! If there's one thing I think all readers can agree on, it's that our TBRs are always getting out of hand. I discovered this meme over at Read Bake Create, and it was originally created by Megabunny Reads.
How it works:
- Go to your Goodreads want-to-read shelf.
- Ask Siri (or use a random number generator) to pick a number between 1 and however many books are on the list.
- Go to that book and look at it and the 4 after it, for a total of 5.
- Read the synopses of the books.
- Decide: keep it or should it go?
- Discuss here.
At the time of this writing, there are 309 books on my Goodreads "Want to Read" list. I used a random number generator and it gave me the number 265. This puts me in the section of books that I added in May of this year. Let's see how many of these books are keepers! (All covers are linked to Goodreads.)
1. Lew Hunter's Screenwriting 434, by Lew Hunter
About This Book:
"The conductor of UCLA's legendary graduate workshop--Screenwriting 434--presents a book as spirited, candid, and wise as the course on which it is based. Hunter guides readers through every stage of the screenwriting process by actually having them write an original screenplay." (From Goodreads)
My Thoughts:
My cousin recommended this to me after I was telling her about my desire to turn Frances Burney's Cecilia into a TV show with no screenwriting experience. She's an MFA, so I trust her judgment on all things writing.
Verdict: KEEP
2. The Keeper of Magical Things, by Julie Leong
About This Book:
"An almost-mage discovers friendship—and maybe something more—in the unlikeliest of places in this delightfully charming novel from the USA Today bestselling author of The Teller of Small Fortunes." (From Goodreads)
My Thoughts:
This sounds cute, and that cover is stunning, oh my goodness! But if anything, it sounds a little too cute. I'm often disappointed by cozy fantasy. It's just not my thing.
Verdict: DELETE
3. Marion Lane and the Midnight Murder, by T.A. Willberg
About This Book:
"Marion Lane and the Midnight Murder plunges readers into the heart of London, to the secret tunnels that exist far beneath the city streets. There, a mysterious group of detectives recruited for Miss Brickett’s Investigations & Inquiries use their cunning and gadgets to solve crimes that have stumped Scotland Yard." (From Goodreads)
My Thoughts:
I probably found this on someone's Top Ten Tuesday list. Mysteries aren't usually my thing either, but I'm willing to give this one a chance!
Verdict: KEEP
4. Red Azalea: A Memoir, by Anchee Min
About This Book:
"A revelatory and disturbing portrait of China, this is Anchee Min’s celebrated memoir of growing up in the last years of Mao’s China. As a child, Min was asked to publicly humiliate a teacher; at seventeen, she was sent to work at a labor collective. Forbidden to speak, dress, read, write, or love as she pleased, she found a lifeline in a secret love affair with another woman. Miraculously selected for the film version of one of Madame Mao’s political operas, Min’s life changed overnight. Then Chairman Mao suddenly died, taking with him an entire world." (From Goodreads)
My Thoughts:
This sounds like an important, if difficult, read. (Difficult because of the subject matter, not the writing.) I probably won't be in a hurry to get to it, but I think I should keep it on my list.
Verdict: KEEP
5. Honeysuckle and Bone, by Trisha Tobias
About This Book:
"On the run from her own dark secrets, a teen girl becomes the nanny for a prestigious family on their extravagant Jamaican estate—but things aren't quite as they seem, and she quickly discovers even paradise may be haunted." (From Goodreads)
My Thoughts:
I've been dipping my toe into horror recently, and especially since this one is YA, I think it has to stay!






Comments
Post a Comment