Top Ten Tuesday: Bookish Places I've Visited

Top Ten Tuesday is a tag hosted by Jana at That Artsy Reader GirlThis week's prompt is "Bookish Places I’ve Visited (share all the cool places you’ve been that are bookish or tied to books! This includes neat libraries, book stores, places featured in books, places inspired by books, author homes/places they’ve stayed, etc. You can also share your bucket list of the bookish places you’d like to visit someday.)" Thanks to Susan @ Bloggin' 'bout Books for this lovely topic!

I decided to go with a straightforward interpretation of the topic! I've organized this list in alphabetical order of place, all covers are linked to Goodreads.

 

Annapolis, Maryland: Good Spirits, by B.K. Borison

Genre: Christmas Romance

Release Year: 2025

I would not recommend reading this to get an accurate feel for Annapolis, but it was a sweet story! (No spice readers beware, though.)


Bath, England: Persuasion, by Jane Austen

Genre: Classic

Release Year: 1817

My family went to England when I was ten, and we spent a day in Bath! Northanger Abbey would work for this too, but I reread Persuasion more recently.


Berlin, Germany: My Berlin Kitchen, by Louisa Weiss

Genre: Food Memoir

Release Year: 2012

I've read a lot of food memoirs, but this one might be my favorite. There's something about it that I just love.


Charleston, South Carolina: The Demon of Unrest, by Erik Larson

Genre: Nonfiction/History

Release Year: 2024

I actually just read this for my book club! I've only wandered around Charleston for a couple hours on foot and didn't really get to explore much, but at least I can say I've been there!


Florida: Chomp, by Carl Hiaasen

Genre: Middle Grade Fiction

Release Year: 2012

My memories of this are hazy, as I read it over ten years ago, but I remember really enjoying it! My mom loved it too. I haven't been to the Everglades, where this book is set, but I've been to Orlando, Florida several times.


Front Royal, Virginia: Belle Boyd in Camp and Prison, by Belle Boyd

Genre: Memoir

Release Year: 1998

For a few years, my mom and I took an annual summer road trip. On one of these trips, when I was thirteen, we stopped by the Belle Boyd Cottage in Front Royal, VA. Belle Boyd was a Confederate spy during the Civil War, and she's a very interesting lady! I recommend reading her entertaining but dubiously truthful memoir.


London, England: Life After Life, by Kate Atkinson

Genre: Historical Fiction

Release Year: 2013

This book made a huge impression on me when I read it as a teenager. It's definitely one I'd want to revisit someday (and I wouldn't mind revisiting London someday too)!


Massachusetts: The Language Inside, by Holly Thompson

Genre: Young Adult

Release Year: 2013

I absolutely love this novel in verse! It does have a light romance, but it's mostly about a girl who's trying to reconcile the two cultures in which she's been raised. It's a lovely and quite unique book, and I highly recommend it!


Philadelphia, Pennsylvania: With the Fire on High, by Elizabeth Acevedo

Genre: Young Adult

Release Year: 2019

I just read With the Fire on High this year and really enjoyed it! I've been to Philly several times over the years to visit my sister, who just graduated with her PhD from Temple University this past May!


Washington, D.C.: A Curse So Dark and Lonely, by Brigid Kemmerer

Genre: YA Fantasy

Release Year: 2019

Technically, most of this book doesn't take place in D.C., but it starts there, so it counts!


Have you read any of these books and/or visited any of these places? Let's compare notes in the comments!


Comments

  1. Berlin sounds like a lovely place to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of my best moments in Bath was realizing that I was standing on the gravel walk from Persuasion where Wentworth finally proposed to Anne Elliott. Fun list!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment