September 2026 Reading Recap

We have officially reached the final quarter of 2026! This is my favorite time of year; it begins with the leaves turning beautiful colors and ends with Christmas.

September was a great reading month for me! Let's get into it; covers are linked to Goodreads.


Runemarks, by Joanne Harris

★★★★★

Genre: Fantasy

Release Year: 2007

What an absolute gem of a book! This delighted and enthralled me at every turn. I was particularly impressed at Joanne Harris's masterful use of the third person omniscient point of view. I have rarely seen it done so well!


A Face Like Glass, by Frances Hardinge

★★★★★

Genre: Dystopian

Release Year: 2012

This was beautifully written and artfully plotted, with worldbuilding that swept me off my feet and into the wondrous and terrible maw of Caverna. I mean, how can you not love a story that starts off with magical cheese? I could say so much about this book, but you really have to experience it for yourself.


The Cost of Control: Why We Crave It, the Anxiety It Gives Us, and the Real Power God Promises, by Sharon Hodde Miller

★★★★★

Genre: Christian Living

Release Year: 2022

I first read this in 2024, and while I don't usually reread books this quickly, this one has a message I always need to hear. I should probably read it yearly, to be honest!


The Paris Apartment, by Lucy Foley (Audio)

★★.5

Genre: Thriller

Release Year: 2022

I've really enjoyed the other Lucy Foley books I've read, so I was surprised at how much I disliked this. It just left me feeling icky. The full cast of narrators was nice, though!


Libertad, by Cassandra James

★★★.5

Genre: YA Fantasy

Release Year: 2026

Overall, this was a good story, although I will say that many of the twists throughout the duology didn't feel earned (looking at you, resurrection trope 😭). Also, the writing really didn't grab me.


The Caretaker, by Marcus Kliewer

★★★★

Genre: Horror

Release Year: 2026

I think I need a break from horror for a while now lol. Giving this one four stars solely because Marcus Kliewer is a master of his craft. Also, I'm very impressed by how he doesn't try to explain everything: he lets horror be horror, and allows the reader to draw their own conclusions (or just sit in stunned silence with a million questions running through their brain).


Book Lovers, by Emily Henry

★★★★

Genre: Romance

Release Year: 2022

I enjoyed the characters, the banter, and the story itself. The ending was quite lovely!


The Doable Off-Grid Homestead: Cultivating a Simple Life by Hand . . . on a Budget, by Stewart and Shannon Stonger

★★★★

Genre: Nonfiction

Release Year: 2018

This is a very broad overview of homesteading, but I think it's helpful to get one started thinking about all the things that go into off-grid living.


Untamed Shore, by Silvia Moreno-Garcia

★★★★

Genre: Historical Thriller/Noir

Release Year: 2020

This was a beautifully crafted book that felt more like literary fiction than a thriller (in a good way).


Nine Perfect Strangers, by Liane Moriarty (Audio)

★★★★.5

Genre: Fiction

Release Year: 2018

I really enjoyed this! I think the characters and Liane Moriarty's portrayal of them were what made this stand out to me.


Reading Goals/Challenges

Goodreads Challenge: 91 / 120 (10 in September)

Paper TBR: 15 / 12 (4 in September)

Nonfiction: 21 / 12 (2 in September)

National Month Challenge: 9 / 12 (1 in September)

Cover Lovers Reading Challenge: 35 / 50 (1 in September)

New Release Challenge: 16 / 12 (2 in September)

Rereads: 7 / 5 (1 in September)



What's your favorite time of year? How are your reading challenges going (if you set any for 2026)?


Comments