Top Ten Tuesday: Middle Grade Books I Want to Read This Summer

I have a confession to make.

Wait! No! It's not a confession. It's a proud statement of fact: I adore Middle Grade fiction.

This week I decided to participate in Top Ten Tuesday, which is a linkup hosted by That Artsy Reader Girl. Today's topic was supposed to be "Books to Read by the Pool/at the Beach", but since I go to the pool and the beach about once in a chartreuse moon, I decided to tweak it a bit. I'm doing "Middle Grade Books I Want to Read This Summer." I have two reasons for this: 1) That Artsy Reader Girl said this topic could serve as a summer TBR list and 2) think about the word "childhood" for a moment. What comes to mind? Summer! Running free in the sunshine under an idyllic blue sky! From these images, I made the tenuous connection of children's books being read in summertime.
Related image

*Thought*
What is the dividing line between childhood and adolescence? To me, there doesn't seem to be a definitive line; there's more of a fuzzy shading where childhood blurs into adolescence and adolescence slides from the reaches of childhood. So who's to say I can't still read and enjoy Middle Grade fiction?
*End of Thought*

I have another confession to make: this is actually a Top Twelve Tuesday post.

Okay, now we can begin.

1. The Witch Family, by Eleanor Estes.
I loved Ginger Pye and Pinky Pye, also by Eleanor Estes, so I'm excited to give this a try. Google Books' description: "Old Witch, Little Witch Girl, Weeny Witch, and two real girls in a fantasy that blends the worlds of reality and imagination. A Halloween classic about the power of make-believe."
Image result for the witch family
2. The Bad Beginning, by Lemony Snicket. 
I'm a little ashamed to admit I haven't read A Series of Unfortunate Events yet. This summer I'm just aiming to read the first one. (There are thirteen novels in the series!?!)
Related image
3. The Unwanteds, by Lisa McMann.
A while ago my sister was doing a book donation drive and one of the books she received was The Unwanteds. I thought the cover looked cool so I read half the book in two days and then she had to donate it with all the other books. Therefore I have not finished it, but the premise was intriguing and I'm interested enough to finish the book.
Image result for the unwanteds
4. The Penderwicks, by Jeanne Birdsall.
There are five books in this series, but again, I'm just reading the first one. This is "A summer tale of four sisters, two rabbits, and a very interesting boy." I read that it's meant to mimic the aura of Louisa May Alcott, so I'm excited.
Image result for the penderwicks
5. The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Perilous Journey, by Trenton Lee Stewart.
And I thought the first book had a long title . . . I read the first one a while ago and I've been meaning to read the rest of them for a while. This is Book 2.
Image result for the mysterious benedict society book 2
6. Land of Stories: The Wishing Spell, by Chris Colfer.
Again, this is one I've been meaning to read for a long time. There are six books.
Image result for land of stories
7. Peter and the Starcatchers, by Dave Barry and Ridley Pearson.
I'm a little wary of this one, since it's a prequel to J.M. Barrie's classic Peter Pan and it was published by a subsidiary of Disney. However, it looks intriguing. Apparently it reveals the backstory of Peter Pan and of Neverland itself.
Image result for peter and the starcatchers
8. The Spiderwick Chronicles: The Field Guide, by Holly Black and Tony DiTerlizzi.
There are eight of these. But guess what? I'm only reading the first one! Bet you didn't see that one coming. These are about children discovering fairies. Yay!
Related image
9. The School for Good and Evil, by Soman Chainani.
There are five books plus a handbook. I'm a little daunted that the series needs its very own handbook. What if my poor little brain can't keep up? Anyway, these books look a little cliche to me, but I might love them! Who knows!
Related image
10. Fablehaven, by Brandon Mull.
It looks like there are five books in this series as well. No handbook, though (whew!). And look at the cover!! The cover alone makes me want to read it.
Image result for fablehaven
11. Artemis Fowl, by Eoin Colfer.
There are eight of these! I feel like I should have read them long ago. People seem to love them, but they never called to me. I'm not sure why, since the genre is "science fiction fantasy".
Image result for artemis fowl
12. Last one!! Wildwood, by Colin Meloy and Carson Ellis.
This is a mere trilogy! Not quite so overwhelming! But the goal is still just to read the first book. And . . . it's about a boy who gets kidnapped by crows? Okay.
Related image
So that's my Top Twelve list of Middle Grade fiction to read this summer! Did you do Top Ten Tuesday? Let me know in the comments!

Thanks for reading,
KB

Comments

  1. I love middle grade fiction, too. I have read lots of these, so, of course, I feel compelled to share my two cents.

    Artemis Fowl (on the 1001 Children's Books list) surprised me so much. It's a fabulous adventure story with lots of action.

    Spiderwick is great fun. One of the teachers at my school loved to read all the Spiderwick books to her kids each year.

    I've only read book one of Mysterious Benedict Society but I love those sorts of gt characters.

    The Penderwicks is a gentle book. I don't see a lot of gentle books these days, with sweet and (somewhat) compliant children.

    Lastly, I love the snark of Unfortunate Events.

    Okay, just my two cents. Now I need to pull Land of Stories and Fablehaven out of my stack and give them a read soon.

    And you might consider joining us for Cybils judging this fall. It's great fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your two cents!! They are much appreciated.
      And thank you for the suggestion about Cybils. I hadn't heard of it but I looked it up and it seems amazing. I'll definitely consider it!

      Delete
  2. I also love middle grade fiction! It's wonderful. I love A Series of Unforunate Events, the Land of Stories books, and The Mysterious Benedict Society, the latter of which is one of my favorite MG series! The School for Good & Evil and Wildwood were the only two that I didn't enjoy so much, but I definitely think that's just a personal thing because most people love them!The Unwanteds, Peter & the Starcatchers, and Fablehaven are all some I'm hoping to get m hands on soon and read, as well. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I loved the first Mysterious Benedict Society (although all those puzzles at the beginning make me feel a little stupid . . .).
      I'm not sure if I'll like The School for Good and Evil. That will be interesting to see. I'm thinking of doing some follow-up reviews/thought posts.
      Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  3. I don't personally read a lot of middle grade but my son is at that age and I'm always looking for ideas for him. I've enjoyed Lisa McMann's YA novels so a MG by her is a great idea! I hope you enjoy these!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found a lot of these books at this link: http://thefamilytriponline.com/2018/04/09/chapter-book-series-for-kids/
      It has more even recommendations!
      Thanks for your comment!

      Delete
  4. I adore middlegrade, too, but I also haven’t read A Series of Unfortunate Events. I need to correct that soon. Those books are classics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! I'm not sure why I never picked them up when I was at that age, but I'm excited to try them out.

      Delete

Post a Comment