Top Ten Tuesday: Series I Don't Plan to Finish

Welcome to Ton Ten Tuesday, a linkup hosted by That Artsy Reader Girl! This week's topic: Series I've Given Up On/Don't Plan to Finish. Finding ten was somewhat of a struggle for me, since my neat and tidy soul screams that I must finish a series once I've started it, but I referred to the booklist I've kept since 2012 and managed to find the requisite number. And here they are!
Image result for used bookstore

1. The Lara Jean trilogy, by Jenny Han. I read To All the Boys I've Loved Before and then looked up the plots of the other two on Wikipedia. (I know, not bookworm protocol.) I know that many people like these books. And the characters were great (Kitty actually reminded me of someone I know). But . . . but . . . it made me so stressed. (Why couldn't she just tell the truth? I mean, telling the truth is hard, but hardness in the short-term would have saved Lara Jean a lot of heartache in the long-term.) Also, I'm sure other people have noticed this too, but it bugged me that Peter . . . has the same last name . . . as Kavinsky from The Raven Cycle . . .
Image result for to all the boys i loved before
2. The Great Library series, by Rachel Caine. I read Ink and Bone and then I couldn't take it anymore. Again, I know that many people love these books, but I just couldn't connect with the characters. I didn't care about any of them, beyond the basic "Oh it's a human" kind of caring. And for me, characters are not the icing on the cake. Characters are the cake. And if the cake's not there, you can't really devour it.
Image result for ink and bone
But I must admit, this cover is amazing.

3. Redwall, by Brian Jacques. I love Redwall! I read three of them. But there are so many and they all start to feel the same after a while. Kind of like jazz music. (I'm sorry if I just offended jazz-lovers.)
Image result for redwall
4. The Babysitters' Club, by Ann M. Martin. These books are okay, they're just kind of "young". I read a couple and then lost interest.

5. Warriors, by Erin Hunter. I didn't think the writing was great. I read a couple, but didn't care enough about the characters or the stories to continue.
Image result for warriors cats books
6. Tuesdays at the Castle, by Jessica Day George. To be fair, I read Thursdays with the Crown, the third book, first. Which was probably not a brilliant idea. But I did enjoy it . . . just not enough to finish the series.
Image result for tuesdays at the castle
7. Reckless, by Cornelia Funke. Again, I cheated and read Fearless, which is #2, first. It was too violent for me, and I didn't like Jacob. (Also, I invented my own MirrorWorld before I even heard about this series. Just sayin'.)
Image result for reckless cornelia funke series
8. Magnus Chase, by Rick Riordan. Magnus was basically the same as Percy Jackson with a few tweaks here and there to disguise him, and the story didn't feel all that different either.

9. Discworld, by Terry Pratchett. I actually read the first one (The Color of Magic–which is an awesome title) first, but I still didn't love it. I mean, it was a great book, but it left me with no desire to continue the series. There was no point. I didn't care about Rincewind. At all. In fact, I had to look up his name just now because I couldn't remember it. Honestly, I would have been perfectly happy if he'd just died. Sorry, Mr. Pratchett.
I did love the creativity that oozed from every page. It was wonderful.

10. Mitford, by Jan Karon. I actually listened to most of these and they were good, but when I started reading them with my eyes, I found they made me depressed and anxious. The characters are so real. Their problems are so real. I just couldn't handle it.

So that's my list of series I don't plan to finish! Tell me in the comments if you did Top Ten Tuesday! And even if you didn't, please talk to me!

Thanks for reading,
KB

Comments

  1. the lara jean books are not for me either, I like the lead is asian but that's about it. I don't read all that much contemporary but reading the reviews for these books, I find it seems to be a lot of dramas and not much else to like.

    I liked 'tuesdays at the the castle,' but like you, I just didn't like it enough to read the rest of the series.

    I have just started on the 'tiffany aching' series which is part of discworld and I really like those books. I am going to read the witches series as well. did you know the discworld series can be read by characters? still don't know if I want to the rest of the series, there are about 41 books total.

    have a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! There was too much drama in the Lara Jean books.
      Wow, 41 books!! That's a lot.
      Thanks for your comment!

      Delete
  2. I haven't read any of these, but my brother started the Warriors series forever ago and I know they have a million of them out now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that's another thing about Warriors–there are just too many!! And then there's a series about dogs and another about bears, I think.

      Delete
  3. I remember Redwall! I read a few of them as a kid, but now I have no interest in continuing the series. I have way too many other books to read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, that's just about how I feel about Redwall.

      Delete
  4. My daughter was into Warriors. There are a ton of them though.

    I did my top ten Tuesday a little different. I could only think of one series I didn't want to finish. http://www.brookereviewsnsweeps.com/2018/06/series-i-want-to-finish-someday/

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment