Music Monday: The Greatest Showman

Happy Labor Day!

Today I'm doing the Music Monday linkup over at Lauren's blog. Lately I've caught myself humming "A Million Dreams" from The Greatest Showman. That seemed like a good song to share, along with a (brief) discussion of the movie.

First, the song:

This is my favorite song from The Greatest Showman. Enjoy!

Now for a Very Important Question: do you like this movie??

Because I don't.

I love the songs! I will happily listen to them all day long! But the movie itself was not worth the twenty dollars I spent on it.

Sorry, Hugh.

For one thing, it went waaaay too fast. It actually went so fast that I got bored. There was no character development to reel me in. My sister and I watched this together and we were talking about the characters' wants. The question, "What does this character want?" is arguably the most important one you can ask about a character. So, what does P.T. Barnum want? To be famous? To have an interesting job that will support his family? To be with Charity? And what does Charity want? Umm . . . to be in love with P.T.? This just did not work for me.

When I saw the trailer, I was so excited! I wanted to know the story behind Zac Efron and Zendaya's characters, especially. And then I watched it. And I found out that pretty much their entire relationship was in the trailer. I would even argue that the trailer was better than the movie.

And I don't think they even tried to make the movie authentic/compatible with the time period.

And I looked P.T. Barnum up on Wikipedia and he was actually a kind of horrible person.

So.

Now that I'm done ranting, please tell me what you think! Do you like The Greatest Showman? This was just my own personal little diatribe and I will not hold it against you if it's your favorite movie ever! I'm just curious!

Comments

  1. Great song choice! I liked the music, but I didn’t like the movie. I know that it isn’t a biography, but why did they name their character “P.T. Barnum” if they were going to fictionalize everything about him?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Me too. This basically sums up my thoughts about the movie.

      Delete
  2. I love the song, but don't really know much about this - although I've heard it doing its rounds. Song sounds sad!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a little sad, but to me it's about possibility.

      Delete
  3. I love this song. The rest of the soundtrack for the film is also good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I love all the songs! I just chose this one because it's my favorite. I also really like Never Enough and Rewrite the Stars.

      Delete
  4. I just recently watched this movie - the story was a bit lacking, but the set pieces were fabulous and the soundtrack is wonderful. My favorite song is The Other Side. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good way to put it–I agree!
      The Other Side is a good, stirring song!

      Delete
  5. I agree with your thoughts! I thought the movie was fine, but it was really disappointing, based on how hyped up it was. I ADORE the soundtrack though. A Million Dreams is my nephew's bedtime lullaby. xD My favorite has to be This Is Me. ♥

    - Aimee @ Aimee, Always

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, I've used A Million Dreams to put myself to sleep before!

      Delete
  6. I really liked the movie, but I was disappointed when I did a little research and found that very little of it was based on reality

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment