Top Ten Tuesday: Strategies to Pull You Out of a Reading Slump

Reading slump? What's a reading slump?

This was my first thought when I read this week's Top Ten Tuesday prompt.

But we all have times now and then when we just . . . don't . . . know what to read. Or, even worse, don't feel like reading anything! But the why and the how of each person's reading slump is so individual to that person that it's hard to produce a list of books to cure a reading slump. And that sentence was very poorly constructed.

Anyway, here's a list of 10 strategies that will (hopefully!) help you slog out of your own personal reading slump.
Related image
Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by That Artsy Reader Girl.

1. Read a book in a genre you don't normally read. I read a lot of fantasies, contemporaries, classics, and Middle Grades, so for me this might be a mystery or a historical fiction. For you it could be something completely different!

2. Consume a book in a form you don't usually consume. I pretty much exclusively read physical books, so if I was going to take this advice I might listen to an audiobook or read an ebook.
3. Ask a friend what he/she is reading and steal it. (Bonus: mini book club!)
4. Look at the staff picks shelf in your local library. 
5. Reread an old favorite.

6. Go to a big bookstore and browse until something catches your eye.
7. See if there are any books by an author you like that you haven't read yet.
8. Ask a friend what his/her favorite book is. (And then–y'know–read it.)

9. Find a book that's about something you're interested in/passionate about. You can usually find me haunting the cookbook aisle in my local library.
10. Read a magazine. 

Do you think these are good tips? Do you have any to add?

Comments

  1. Some great tips here!
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2018/08/21/top-ten-tuesday-173/

    ReplyDelete
  2. YES! Great tips. My tip is to read a bunch of short books. They're quick to read, so I feel like I’m actually accomplishing something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good one. I'm the kind of person who makes a to-do list, realizes she's left something off, and writes it on just so she can cross it off. I enjoy crossing things off lists because, like you said, it makes me feel like I'm getting stuff done.

      Delete
  3. I personally ~cannot~ read outside of my comfort zone when I'm in a slump 😂 My brain will find it too hard to read, but I totally get how it could get you out of your genre sinkhole! But I love buddy reading and rereading old favorites to get out of my reading slump 😊 Awesome post, KB!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lot of these tips came from my mom, to be honest. I should have given her credit in the post! Glad you liked it!
      I don't actually reread a whole lot. Although I have read some L.M. Montgomery books more than once (A Tangled Web!) and I've read The Princess Bride a couple times.

      Delete
  4. These are great tips! Rereading an old favorite is always a good one for me, but so is reading something totally outside my comfort zone. I also love to read magazines. While taking a bubble bath. And browsing a bookstore always makes me SO enthused about reading, so I agree with you there too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Magazines are underrated. I enjoy Real Simple and Bon Appetit. I'm more of a shower person, though, although I used to love baths!

      Delete

Post a Comment