My Favorite Fairytale Retellings


 It's no secret that I love fairytales. More than the original tales themselves, however, I love fairytale retellings. I love how different authors bend and embellish these familiar stories to create something new and exciting. And I'm always on the lookout for new retellings.

What made me decide to write this post (although I doubt anyone will see it; it is simply a database of sorts for myself) is that I recently discovered the retelling of "The Twelve Dancing Princesses" that I've been looking for for years. I read House of Salt and Sorrows fairly soon after it came out, but that was so far from what I was looking for that I gave up on my quest for a while. And then, I read Princess of the Midnight Ball by Jessica Day George. Perfection!

So, without further ado, here is my list of favorite fairytale retellings. I'll be updating this list as I read more, I'm sure!


Alice in Wonderland

(Could we call this a modern fairytale? I'm kind of bending the rules here, but ...) 

Heartless, by Marissa Meyer

(See? I couldn't not!)


Beauty and the Beast

Beauty, by Robin McKinley


Cinderella

Ella Enchanted, by Gail Carson Levine


East of the Sun, West of the Moon

East, by Edith Pattou


Rumpelstiltskin

Gilded, by Marissa Meyer


Snow White

Poisoned, by Jennifer Donnelly


The Princess and the Pea

The Princess Test, by Gail Carson Levine (again – she's just really good at retelling fairytales, what can I say?)


The Twelve Dancing Princesses

Princess of the Midnight Ball, by Jessica Day George


That's it for now! I've read many more retellings than this, but these are my absolute favorites. I'm on the lookout for a really good retelling of Sleeping Beauty next, I think. I'd also love a longer version of The Princess and the Pea. Let me know if you have any recommendations!


I've been toying with the idea of writing a mashup of Beauty and the Beast and Sleeping Beauty called Beauty Woke the Beast. Possibly set in 16th century Italy. What do you think, should I do it??

Comments