On Adaptations


When can a book be made into a movie?

Should a book ever be made into a movie?

I believe there is one situation in which a book can–and, arguably, should–be made into a movie. And that situation is when the book in question is a classic.

Now, different people have different definitions of what constitutes a "classic". When I read Flowers for Algernon in eighth grade, I noticed that the cover touted the book as "a modern classic". And even then, I scoffed at this designation. In my view, the very definition of a classic is that it's old. There's no such thing as a "modern classic"; that's an oxymoron. That was my opinion in eighth grade and it's still my opinion today.

The New Oxford American Dictionary defines classic this way:

clas·sicˈklasik | adjectivejudged over a period of time to be of the highest quality and outstanding of its kinda classic novel | a classic car

Note the phrase "over a period of time." I'm unwilling to put a specific date on my definition (so I suppose it's not really a definition at all), but in my mind, 1959 simply is not long enough ago to make Flowers for Algernon a classic. 

Flowers for Algernon even fails to make the cut by Italo Calvino's standards. His fourteenth criterion of what makes a classic a classic states, "A classic is a work which persists as a background noise even when a present that is totally incompatible with it holds sway." 

All right, I've been picking on Flowers for Algernon, but that's not really fair to the book or to Daniel Keyes. 

Let's take some positive example of books that I think are classics that were made into great movies (ooh yay, another opportunity to make a list!):

1. Little Women (2019)

I absolutely love this movie! I've seen it twice, and I don't often rewatch movies. Have you noticed the way you can keep your bearing in the story (whether it's past or present) by how the lighting changes? And, of course, it has Emma Watson in it. Enough said.

2. Little Women (1994)

The only thing I don't like about the 2019 version is how Jo and Professor Bhaer's relationship was portrayed. My main complaint is that the actor playing Professor Bhaer was way too young. That really bothered me. So if you put the 1994 and 2019 versions together, you have the perfect adaptation of Little Women!

3. Emma (2020)

I know I just mentioned this one in my last post, but it's so good!

4. Alice in Wonderland (1999)

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland was first published in 1865, but it feels much fresher. Probably because it's been adapted so many times! Even Disney got their hands on it (I still haven't watched that version). The 1999 adaptation was the first I ever watched, and I watched it many times. I think it captures beautifully the whimsy and wonder of the book, while adding a minimal plot to hold it together just enough. And, of course, it has Martin Short in it. And Gene Wilder. Enough said.


I could go on with more questionably classical adaptations, with The Importance of Being Earnest (2002), based on the 1895 play by Oscar Wilde; Hook (1991), based on the 1904 book Peter Pan by J.M. Barrie; Arsenic and Old Lace (1944), based on the 1939 play by Joseph Kesselring ... See? I'm creeping into definitely-not-old-enough-to-be-a-classic territory. So I'll stop.

Another possible rule for book-to-movie adaptations is that books shouldn't be made into movies unless the movie builds upon and adds to the experience created by the book.

What do you think? Should books be made into movies? What's your favorite book-to-movie adaptation?

Comments