Top Ten Tuesday: Books Set in Cold Places


As promised, I'm returning to Top Ten Tuesday this week! Top Ten Tuesday is a tag hosted by Jana at That Artsy Reader Girl. Each week, she picks a bookish prompt and then posts ten books that fits the prompt. This week's prompt is "Books Set In X (Pick a setting and share books that are all set there. This could be a specific continent or country, a state, in outer space, underwater, on a ship or boat, at the beach, etc.)" I chose the category of "Books Set In Cold Places", because, with Thanksgiving behind us, we have officially turned the corner into Christmas season!


1. Greenglass House, by Kate Milford

I don't see a lot of people talking about this book, but it's so good! It's a Middle Grade mystery set in an old house during a blizzard at Christmastime, and it has both cozy and spooky vibes. How perfect is that?!


2. Seasparrow, by Kristin Cashore

This is the fifth book in the Graceling Realm Series, which is one of my absolute favorite fantasy series! I wasn't super excited about a book narrated by Hava when I started it, but Seasparrow turned out to be one of my favorite books in the series!


3. Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, by J.K. Rowling

The first time I read this was in January during a huge snowfall, so it always makes me feel cozy and wintry. That was also during my first stint as a vegetarian, so this book also makes me think of lentil veggie soup. 😂


4. The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, by C.S. Lewis

Obviously, this had to be on the list.


5. East, by Edith Pattou

This is a retelling of the traditional fairytale "East of the Sun, West of the Moon". I really enjoyed it!


6. In a Holidaze, by Christina Lauren

I just read this one. You'll get to see my thoughts on it in next week's post!


7. The Left Hand of Darkness, by Ursula K. Le Guin

I wasn't a huge fan of A Wizard of Earthsea, but I loved TLHOD! I read it several years ago, so honestly I don't remember it all that well. Maybe it's time for a reread?


8. Endurance, by Alfred Lansing

This book has the distinction of being the only nonfiction on the list! Endurance is about Sir Ernest Shackleton's failed attempt to cross the Antarctic continent. Not sure how you could get colder than that! My mom, sister, and I all read this book for our book club, and for a while, when anything went wrong, we'd say, "At least I don't have an abscess on my left buttock." You'll have to read the book to understand that reference.


9. The Sugar Queen, by Sarah Addison Allen

Cute story with a spooky twist. Not my usual reading fare, but I enjoyed it!


10. Once Upon a Wardrobe, by Patti Callahan

This is fiction about C.S. Lewis! Well, not really about C.S. Lewis, but he's a character in the book. Again, a cute story.


And there you have it: Ten books set in cold places! I invite you to make yourself a mug of hot chocolate and curl up on the couch with one of these books. I'd love to know if you've already read any of them, and if you have any recommendations to add to this list, please let me know in the comments! 

Comments

  1. I loved Once Upon a Wardrobe!

    Here is our Top Ten Tuesday.

    Astilbe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! It's sad, sweet, and fun all at the same time :)

      Delete
  2. Greenglass House sure sounds good.

    Here is my Top Ten Tuesday post.

    Lydia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is! There's a sequel too, although I didn't like that one as much.

      Delete
  3. I also love a winter wonderland setting. Great choices! I'm going to start reading ONCE UPON A WARDROBE this week since that's my book club's November pick. My husband just finished it and really liked it.

    Happy TTT!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Left Hand of Darkness was half cold, correct? I obviously need to reread this one, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought it was all cold, but I could be wrong! Either way, the cold part was really cold xD

      Delete

Post a Comment