Fairytale Retellings I Want to Read Soon

I know I said I was going to do Top Ten Tuesday this week, but ... I lied.

I mean, I thought I was going to be doing Top Ten Tuesday this week. But then I looked at the prompt again and felt uninspired. You know one thing that always inspires me, though? Fairytales!

If you've read a few of my posts (or even spotted the ABBA quote in my blog header), you'll know that I adore fairytales. I write them, I read them, I basically live on them. And I've read quite a few fairytale retellings. But here are a few I haven't read yet that I'm excited to dig into! (And in the spirit of Top Ten Tuesday, there are ten of them.) Here we go, in no particular order (all covers are linked to Goodreads).


1. Ash, by Malinda Lo

This is a Cinderella retelling that's been recommended to me by a member of my writers group (twice). If it's a retelling, I'm here for it. If it's a Cinderella retelling, I'm ... extra here for it!


2. Briar Rose, by Jane Yolen

"Ever since she was a child, Rebecca has been enchanted by her grandmother Gemma's stories about Briar Rose. But a promise Rebecca makes to her dying grandmother will lead her on a remarkable journey to uncover the truth of Gemma's astonishing claim: I am Briar Rose. A journey that will lead her to unspeakable brutality and horror. But also to redemption and hope." (Goodreads)

I'm very intrigued by this retelling of Sleeping Beauty! I can't remember whose blog I spotted this on.


3. Splintered, by A.G. Howard

This book takes place in a post-Alice Wonderland, the main character being one of Alice's descendants who must fix all of Alice's mistakes to save her family. I know Alice's Adventures in Wonderland isn't technically a fairytale, but it's a classic, so close enough, right? Anyway, I love retellings set in Wonderland (such as Marissa Meyer's Heartless), so I'm super stoked to read this!


4. A Sorceress Comes to Call, by T. Kingfisher

I've seen this one on a lot of blogs lately–and no wonder! Its release date was August 6 of this year, and it's "A dark retelling of the Brothers Grimm's Goose Girl, rife with secrets, murder, and forbidden magic", according to Goodreads. What's not to love?!


5. Masquerade, by O.O. Sangoyomi

"Set in a wonderfully reimagined 15th century West Africa, Masquerade is a dazzling, lyrical tale exploring the true cost of one woman’s fight for freedom and self-discovery, and the lengths she’ll go to secure her future." (Goodreads)

This is another story that's not exactly based on a fairytale (it's loosely based on the Greek myth of Persephone), but it's close enough! This sounds like a rich and colorful retelling.


6. Peter Darling, by Austin Chant

"The Lost Boys say that Peter Pan went back to England because of Wendy Darling, but Wendy is just an old life he left behind. Neverland is his real home. So when Peter returns to it after ten years in the real world, he’s surprised to find a Neverland that no longer seems to need him." (Goodreads

So, J.M. Barrie's Peter Pan isn't a fairy tale, exactly, but it kind of is, right? At this point, I should have called this blog post "Fairytale, Myth, and Other Story Retellings I Want to Read Soon". (Side note: Should I do a blog post ranking all the Peter Pan retellings I've read?) And speaking of Peter Pan ...


7. Dust, by Kara Swanson

"The truth about Neverland is far more dangerous than a fairy tale." (Goodreads)

This one has been on my TBR for years! Maybe I'll finally get around to it soon, since I put it on this list of retellings that I want to read, you know, soon ...


8. Girls Made of Snow and Glass, by Melissa Bashardoust

"Frozen meets The Bloody Chamber in this feminist fantasy reimagining of the Snow White fairytale." (Goodreads)

This is another one that's been on my TBR for quite some time! I'll probably finish writing my own Snow White retelling before I read this one so that I'm not influenced by another author's ideas. But whenever I do finish, I'm excited to read this!


9. A Blade So Black, by L.L. McKinney

"A Blade So Black delivers an irresistible urban fantasy retelling of Alice in Wonderland... but it's not the Wonderland you remember." (Goodreads)

While we're stretching the limits of what can be considered a fairytale, let's go back to Wonderland with this dark retelling. I'm very intrigued! Will definitely read this soon! (Although it's anyone's guess what I mean by "soon".)


10. The Wrath and the Dawn, by Renée Ahdieh 

And now for something completely different! This is a retelling of One Thousand and One Nights. We'll see how it compares to Cameron Dokey's The Storyteller's Daughter, which was basically the most perfect retelling of One Thousand and One Nights that I can imagine. No pressure, though!


What retellings are on your TBR? Do you have a favorite retelling, or a favorite tale that you always love to see retold in different ways? If you love fairytale retellings as much as I do, go check out this post where I ramble about my favorite fairytale retellings.


Comments