Top Ten Tuesday is a tag hosted by Jana at That Artsy Reader Girl. This week's prompt is "Book Titles That Include the Word '[insert word of your choice here]' (Pick a word and share ten book titles that include that word!)"
Last year when this prompt came up, I did the word "star". This year, I went with "house"! All covers are linked to Goodreads.
Blackbird House, by Alice Hoffman
Genre: Magical Realism / Short Stories
Release Year: 2004
I read this in 2019 and thought it was such a unique concept, to follow a house through the centuries in a series of short stories. I highly recommend it, if you like magical realism and short stories!
Greenglass House, by Kate Milford
Genre: Middle Grade Mystery
This is one of the best Middle Grade books I have ever read. The setting is so evocative that it truly makes you feel like you're snowed in at an old inn with a bunch of strangers at Christmastime, and the mystery kept me turning the pages!
House of Many Ways, by Diana Wynne Jones
Genre: Middle Grade Fantasy
Release Year: 2008
We can't have a list without Diana Wynne Jones! I reread this one a few months ago and remembered how delightful it is. It's technically a sequel to Howl's Moving Castle, but I don't think you necessarily need to have read HMC to enjoy this (although it probably makes it funnier).
Little House in the Big Woods, by Laura Ingalls Wilder
Genre: Classic
Release Year: 1932
I wasn't a huge Little House fan growing up, but I did enjoy them and I loved Garth Williams's beautiful illustrations!
Orchard House, by Tara Austen Weaver
Genre: Memoir
Release Year: 2015
This sweet memoir is a love letter to gardens and family. It's a perfect, atmospheric late-summer read.
Starling House, by Alix E. Harrow
Genre: Gothic Fantasy
Release Year: 2023
I read this last fall and absolutely loved it! The characters were some of my favorite I've come across recently, and the setting was so atmospheric. I need to read more by Alix E. Harrow! (The Everlasting is on my TBR.)
The House at the Edge of Magic, by Amy Sparkes
Genre: Middle Grade Fantasy
Release Year: 2021
This is the only book on this list that I haven't read. It's on my TBR, though!
The House of Mirth, by Edith Wharton
Genre: Classic
Release Year: 1905
This book had my blood BOILING in the best way possible. I think I'm an Edith Wharton fan now!
The House on the Strand, by Daphne du Maurier
Genre: Historical Fiction
Release Year: 1969
Daphne du Maurier's signature storytelling style is strong in this unsettling historical fiction/mystery/time travel mashup.
The House Saphir, by Marissa Meyer
Genre: YA Fantasy
Release Year: 2025
Not one of my favorite Marissa Meyer books, but I enjoyed it!











I love the cover of Greenglass House! The Little House books are a perfect choice for this list. My word was Time. Here's my list: https://bonniereadsandwrites.com/2026/07/07/top-ten-tuesday-books-with-the-word-time-in-the-title/#comment-11991
ReplyDeleteMe too! It just makes me want to curl up somewhere cozy with a book.
DeleteThats pretty glowing praise for “Greenglass House”, I’ll have to look into it! “The Everlasting” is on my TBR also, I love lady knights
ReplyDeleteIt's a very fun read!
DeleteI agree! I haven't read enough books about lady knights
Ooo good choice!! I love books that center on houses. I also really loved the book Greenglass House. :)
ReplyDeleteIf the house is sentient, so much the better! I'm so glad you loved Greenglass House too!
DeleteStarling House is on my WTR, it’s been a while since I’ve read anything with House in the title, the last was House of Hollow in 2021 which I did enjoy.
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing your #TTT
I haven't read House of Hollow, but it looks intriguing and spooky! I highly recommend Starling House (in case you couldn't tell from the post xD)
DeleteI've heard good things from a friend about The House at the Edge of Magic! My TTT
ReplyDeleteThat's good to know! I adore the cover, so I'm hopeful the inside will be just as delightful :)
DeleteGreat word choice! Blackbird House especially intrigues me, but there are a couple of others that have me curious.
ReplyDeleteThank you! Blackbird House is such a unique read. I want to reread it at some point!
DeleteMany of the books I read that include this word are about haunted houses. :) It’s cool to see other examples, too.
ReplyDeleteMy husband made me go on a haunted house ride one time and after that I swore them off forever lol. I'm a scaredy cat!
DeleteThe House on the Strand sounds interesting.
ReplyDeleteHere is our Top Ten Tuesday.
I would say it's one of Daphne du Maurier's weirded novels, but I really liked it!
DeleteNice word choice for today! I went and looked at my Goodreads and I have quite a few with House in them. The most recent one I read and loved was Highcliffe House by Megan Walker. Have a great week!
ReplyDeleteOoh, Highcliffe House looks like a perfect summer read! I've been on a Regency kick, thanks to The Other Bennet Sister, so I might have to give this a try.
DeleteKaris, I have LOVED Megan Walker's books! They are fantastic!
DeleteOhhhh I wanted to go with this word at first, but switched up to summer!
ReplyDeleteMy TTT: https://laurieisreading.com/2026/07/07/top-ten-tuesday-books-with-the-word-summer-in-the-title/
Summer is a good word too! :) Thanks for stopping by!
DeleteWhen I saw the word you chose for today, I instantly thought of Little House in the Big Woods.
ReplyDeleteHere's my TTT for the week: https://readbakecreate.com/christmas-can-be-found-in-book-titles/
I was almost done with my post when I realized I hadn't included any of the Little House books!! That seemed like a grave oversight to me, and my tenth book was one I didn't have a lot to say about anyway, so I switched it out.
DeleteI've only read Starling House but I quite liked it.
ReplyDeleteIt's so good!!
DeleteHouse is such a versatile word to work with in titles. It can be so many things, both welcoming and ominous. House of Hunger by Alexis Henderson is probably my favorite with the word in it.
ReplyDeleteIt is! I found even more "house" titles in my reading journal, but I wanted to only choose books I actually liked or would recommend, so not all of them made the cut. House of Hunger looks interesting!
DeleteI just read the whole Little House series of nine books, and I found about half of them to be excellent or very good as a grownup reader.
ReplyDeleteI haven't read them for years, but I especially liked Farmer Boy. These Happy Golden Years and The First Four Years were moving to me, as they recounted some of Laura's adult struggles.
DeleteI ALMOST did "house" this week, too, but I decided to go in a different direction. I've read all of the Little House books, but that's it from your list.
ReplyDeleteHappy TTT (on a Wednesday)!
I was a little surprised that I didn't see anyone else do "house", since it's a very common title word–but that's the lovely thing about these open-ended prompts! It's been fun seeing what words everyone else chose!
DeleteI just acquired a copy of Greenglass House based on the recommendation of a fellow bookseller! I'm excited to give it a try.
ReplyDeleteOh yay! I hope you love it!
Delete