Ranking the Books I Read in May 2023

 I have no reason for this post except that I think it'll be fun, so let's get to it!



The Story of Egypt, by Joann Fletcher

I actually read this for research! I really want to write a fantasy set in an ancient Egypt-inspired world. Let me know if you've read any good YA fantasy with this setting, I'd love to check it out! Anyway, back to this book: it was good, and I learned a lot. But it was long and nonfiction. 


On Marriage, by Tim Keller and Kathy Keller

Great book! I agree strongly with it. Unfortunately it just wasn't super memorable for me.


A Thousand Beginnings and Endings, edited by Ellen Oh and Elsie Chapman

I enjoyed this! Most of the stories were pretty good, and I'm waffling between three and four stars, but we'll give it a four. I don't love anthologies because they're so fragmented. If the stories are good, I want them to be longer, and if they're bad, I feel like it kind of leaks it's not-so-goodness all over the other stories.


Wicked as You Wish, by Rin Chupeco 

Her writing isn't my favorite (it's not bad, it's just not knock-your-socks-off-amazing), but her storytelling is great! Some of the pacing and the dramatic reveals were a little off, I think. I'll be reading the second book in this series next month, though! I loved the characters too. I really hope the next book centers more on Zoe.


The Forest Queen, by Betsy Cornwell

I definitely want to read more books by this lady! Her storytelling is amazing! This is my favorite Robin Hood retelling I've read.


Moment of Truth, by Kasie West

Kasie West has to be one of my favorite authors. Her books are just so wholesome and satisfying. It had been a long time since I read one, so I was afraid I'd "aged out", but that was not the case at all! MOT totally hooked me, and it might just be my favorite Kasie West book I've read so far.


That's it for May! That was fun. Let's do this again next month!

Comments