Books I Found on Instagram (Reader Edition)

Back in May (wow, was it already that long ago?!) I did a post listing some books I had found on Instagram being promoted by their authors. Having started my own "writergram" account, I now have a ton more of those, so I'll do another post about that soon! But today it's time to turn to reader recommendations. All covers are linked to Goodreads.


@sophiehallali

I don't think I've seen any posts from this account either before or since, but this post popped up in my feed a while back and I saved it! This list was billed as "non-BookTok famous" books, so I was instantly in. I've already read Naomi Novik's Scholomance series, which was the last recommendation on Sophie's list, so I haven't included that here.


A Tale for the Time Being, by Ruth Ozeki

Genre: Magical Realism

Release Year: 2013

I love magical realism and dual timelines, so this sounds right up my alley!


Empire of the Ants, by Bernard Werber

Genre: Science Fiction

Release Year: 1991

This is described on Goodreads as Watership Down but darker and with ants instead of rabbits. And there's a mysterious cellar that people keep going into, but never come out of. I'm sold!


The Hypocrite, by Jo Hamya

Genre: Literary Fiction

Release Year: 2024

I need to read more literary fiction! This seems like as good a place as any to start.


The Knife of Never Letting Go, by Patrick Ness

Genre: YA Dystopian

Release Year: 2008

Okay, I didn't find this one on Instagram. I've known about it for years, but I never actually knew what it was about until I saw it on this account. Also, Tim Hickson mentioned it multiple times as an example in his Writing and Worldbuilding series, so if that's not a recommendation, I don't know what is!


@itsdansbooks

This guy pops up in my feed fairly often, although I don't follow him, and he seems to have solid recommendations (by which I mean: he's a Sanderson fan). Note: I did remove Malice by John Gwynne and Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry from this list because they didn't look like my type of book and the list was getting long anyway.


Red Rising, by Pierce Brown

Genre: YA Dystopian

Release Year: 2014

Another one I knew about prior to seeing it recommended on Instagram. I can't believe I've never read this! I read the Hunger Games trilogy for the first time last year, so maybe this is my year to get into the Red Rising Saga.


Magician: Apprentice, by Raymond E. Feist

Genre: High Fantasy

Release Year: 1982

In an age where romantasy dominates the genre, I am here for some good, old-fashioned high fantasy.


Ship of Magic, by Robin Hobb

Genre: High Fantasy

Release Year: 1998

The name "Robin Hobb" immediately makes me think of Robin McKinley, one of my favorite fantasy authors of all time, so if this is anything like that, I'll be happy. Also, the first lines of the Goodreads description are, "Wizardwood, a sentient wood. The most precious commodity in the world. Like many other legendary wares, it comes only from the Rain River Wilds." Yes please!


@rab_author

These recommendations were actually from the comments on one of those "things I want to see more of in fantasy" posts. The original post was specifically about forest fantasy, and included: cabins that shouldn't be there; trails that rearrange themselves; forests that are alive and aware; fae who are actually unsettling, not just pretty; bargains with consequences that stick; cryptids; doors in the middle of nowhere; and an unreliable narrator that forgets they've been somewhere before.


One Dark Window, by Rachel Gillig

Genre: Fantasy

Release Year: 2022

The cover alone makes me want to read this.


The Butcher of the Forest, by Premee Mohamed

Genre: Dark Fantasy

Release Year: 2024

This was actually recommended to me by a friend a while ago (I've been meaning to read it, honest!), so when I saw it here as well, I knew I had to put it on a more permanent list!


House of Hollow, by Krystal Sutherland

Genre: YA Horror/Paranormal

Release Year: 2021

I feel like I saw this on a Top Ten Tuesday post a while back. I definitely remember reading the Goodreads description before. It sounds quite haunting.


Have you heard of (or read) any of these books? Let's chat in the comments!



Comments